Sunday, November 15, 2009

It's all in the name of art...that makes it okay...right?


Vito Acconci, Marina Abramovic



These two artist really messed with my head. The film of the woman getting her eye pryed open disturbed me. What is it with these man wanting to attack womens eyes? Can't we just leave the poor girls alone? I think I'm going to wear sunglasses all the time if men are obsessed with my eyes as much as I've recently seen in Santi's class. I really was just disturbed over the force of the man over the woman. The fact that she wasn't saying anything was also unsettling. It was almost as if she were drugged or mute or both. She was really helpless, and I did not like that she was being taken advantage of.


Marina Abramovic's work was also strange to me, especially the one with the man and woman running their naked selves into wooden columns to make them move. I do not enjoy theses pieces with such pain involved. I did however like her relationship piece. The nakedness of her performers brings a raw element to her pieces, and I can appreciate that. I just don't like people getting hurt, it makes me cringe and I can't focus on any other messages.

It should be interesting to see what santi has in store for us this week, as we were told this was just baby stuff compared to it. I could handle the lips being sewn together, and unfortunately, I've seen such works as two girls one cup, so hopefully I'll be able to handle it. If not, my classmates may have to pull a vito acconci on me, and pry my eyes open...ha ha ha. Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment